Parenting Lesson #2 Learned From My Horse: Google. Just Don’t Do It.

Mar 15, 2013 7 Comments by

We all know better. We all do it anyway. Why is that when the slightest malady shows up in our kids – equine or human – the first thing we do is grab our smartphones to Google the symptoms right there in the barn aisle way?

Let me save you some time; I’ll tell you exactly what Google is going to say:

1. Horse has a weird fungus on his coronary band? He’s dying.
  2. Horse got kicked in the knee? He’s dying.
  3. Horse has hives? He’s dying.
  4. Horse cut his leg? He’s dying.
  5. Horse has a mysterious lameness? He’s dying.

This goes for Googling about your human children too:

1. Baby has a reddened belly button? He’s dying.
  2. Should I feed baby rice cereal? No, he’ll die.
  3. Should I give my baby vaccines? No, he’ll die.

Ok, so maybe that is a little bit extreme, but you get the point. We all try to self-diagnose with the internet as one of our primary resources. And the problem is twofold: every case is unique and the internet is full of a bunch of alarmists.

That list of five items for horses? Totally all things I have Googled (yeah, yeah, the baby ones too). Here’s what really happened.

Last fall, Ace developed a fungus on all four feet just above his coronary band growing mostly under the dark hairs (he has two white and two black pasterns, with a few dark spots in the white areas). He was sound and was completely unbothered by it. So, I scrubbed his legs down with some iodine shampoo, rinsed and dried well, and treated with an OTC anti-fungal. Later that night I went home and Googled this weird fungus. It was either scratches (not so much because it was only around the fronts of his hooves), or some rare disease in which his hooves were going to fall off and he was going to die. I decided not to freak out, kept up the iodine and anti-fungal routine, and in a week it was gone.

The kick to the knee left a minor cut and a giant swollen area. Cold compresses and a few days of stall rest and Ace was back to normal.

The hives were from some kind of bug. Nice cold showers, a few days inside away from the bugs and they went away with no lingering affects. They have not returned with the introduction of a simple fly sheet for the buggy seasons.

Ace kicked himself in his own leg and sliced the skin inside and below his knee. It wasn’t bad enough for stitches, but he did crack himself hard enough that he was a bit lame on that leg for three weeks. Stall rest, cleaning, treating, and wrapping … good as new. He does still have a bit of a knot in that spot. (The vet did see this injury; nothing was damaged beyond a little bruising and the laceration).

Horse has a mysterious lameness? Two abscesses and one frog infection. Abscesses blew out on their own, the frog infection was diagnosed and treated by the vet.

In the end there is no teacher like experience and no diagnosis like your veterinarian’s. Sorry Google.

I’m not one to panic and call the vet over every little misstep, personally, although I know plenty who do – and both are totally fine. If it’s not something life threatening, I will generally give it a day or two to improve before calling the vet. If it gets better, we’re headed in the right direction. If it gets worse, call the vet for a consultation and have her come out if she believes it’s warranted.

Bumps, scrapes, skin issues, and the occasional minor lameness I can typically handle on my own. Some things, however, I never mess around with. Colic symptoms top that list. They always warrant a call to the vet. Swelling that gets worse instead of better. Moderate to severe lameness – putting little to no weight on the limb. Obviously any cuts deep enough to require stitches (thank the Lord Ace hasn’t done that to me!).

Your turn to weigh in: what are some of the funnier (or alarming) Google diagnoses you’ve found? And what is your policy for when to call the vet?

Babies & Horses, Featured, Horse Care, Horse Ownership

7 Responses to “Parenting Lesson #2 Learned From My Horse: Google. Just Don’t Do It.”

1. Nick says:

On the other side of the coin, my mare had some low grade symptoms that the internet all agreed was likely just stress. After a few days I was bothered enough to call the vet, who immediately diagnosed it as potomac horse fever. By the time more serious symptoms started we already had her started on antibiotics. She made a full recovery, and I’m glad I trusted my gut feeling instead of the internet!

2. Equine Obsessed says:

You are so right! But I didn’t have Google when I got my first horse in the ’90′s. I had my trainer/friend Patty C. I must have called her every three weeks with some new worry/question/PANIC. ….

Me: TC wasn’t eating like usual / Patty: he is OK
    Me: TC didn’t come to me in the pasture like normal / Patty: he is OK.
    Me: TC seems nervous near the trailer / Patty: he is OK.

OK, Patty usually asked a few questions and gave guidance too.

Then. I discovered his Ergot. I thought is was some kind of evil worm or hernia.

I knew about Chestnuts but not Ergots. I called Patty in a panic. She asked about details and managed not to laugh. Then she said she was really sorry, but TC is going to die……. Someday. Luckily, TC survived his attach of Ergots and is happily in retirement even now.

Come check up on him at my blog – TC is celebrating St. Patrick’s day by wearing green.. http://yayariders.wordpress.com/

Equine Obsessed – Thank you for making me laugh out loud (not loud enough to wake the baby, thank goodness). Attack of ergots…

Nick – you make a very excellent point! Some horses are more stoic about their discomfort, and sometimes even just the slightest change in behavior can sometimes signal a very serious problem. I think you are right, we do need to trust our “gut feelings” when it comes to when to call the vet. No one knows our horses like we do, and we are the ones most well-equipped to know if a change in their behavior especially could signify a serious concern. Better safe than sorry! Thank you for that reminder.

4. OnTheBit says:

Hahaha…I love it…and do it! I am def. more of a call my vet and ask kind of owner. The good thing is my vet is a practical man so he will not rush out on a sat and charge me for an emergency farm call unless he really thinks that there is a problem.

Just this week one of the horses at the barn was showing a mysterious lameness that would come and go. I was stumped by it, heat above all 4 coronary bands yet no digital pulse? Well google came up with ring bone, which is something my trimmer had asked about last time he did this horse. Vet coming out this week, but it was cool to be able to goggle it since I had no idea’s on my own (I promptly googled how to care for ring bone also since again, I had nothing else to go on).

Great post (as always!) And you have officially put me to shame since you are now posting way more than I am and you have young son!

5. Rachel says:

I love this post! Its so true, you come up with these insane explanations for the symptoms, call the vet out and tell him whats going on and then you get the “crazy horse woman” look. But if you’re not concerned with your baby then who will be?

6. www.horsesfortrail.com says:

You have to make choices in life and horse ownership is no different. You learn to make the best decision you can with the information you have available and don’t look back. Sure sometimes you are going to be wrong ( or think you were anyway ), but just accept the circumstances and go forward. Horses recover when the vet doesn’t come and sometimes diie when he does.

7. joanna says: